[Monotone-devel] Re: What's the plans for cvs_import?

From: graydon hoare
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: What's the plans for cvs_import?
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 12:26:23 -0400

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 22:01:42 +0200 (CEST), Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
<address@hidden> wrote:

It also seems to skip some steps in the history, maybe because the log
messages are extremely similar (excatly the same).  However,
considering every change happens with a time difference of about 5
minutes, it shouldn't be that hard to tell the difference.

the default time window is 3 hours (constants.cc, cvs_window).
this is conservatively high due to the fact that authors and changelogs
typically change on different checkins, and that some trees (eg. gcc
accessed over a slow modem with high lock contention) have relatively
lengthy checkin skew.

it might be too long though. it was just a guess.

Shall I assume this part needs a lot more hacking?  Considering I've
lived in depth with CVS since ca. 1998, I think I'm up for that, and
could contribute.

I wouldn't say it needs a *lot* more hacking. it has imported some
substantial (multi GB) CVS trees successfully. what it probably needs
are:

   - tuning of the time window parameter, possibly dynamically

   - fixes to less-central bits of information being mangled or
     dropped during the import (such as symbols, which you fixed,
     thanks!)

   - it will need a bit of an overhaul in terms of the thing it
     synthesizes, when the work on the changesets branch merges
     in.

-graydon