[Monotone-devel] Re: Looking at the code affected in bug 9752 leaves a w

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Looking at the code affected in bug 9752 leaves a weird taste...
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 14:25:18 +0100

Jon Bright <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> Reasons for doing this on a monotone/system-wide basis are things
> such as checking out onto a Samba share or so on a Linux box.  The
> share's going to be used by Windows clients and hence you want
> CR+LF, but the system line ending is LF.

That's the only case I've seen.  IIRC, we had a CVS repository and
checked out sources for nightly builds on a GNU/Linux box, and then
used those sources to build on several platforms, including Windows.
Arguably it's that process that was broken: if we'd checked out on
Windows (as Windows developers did), then everything would have
worked.

However, I think there's some mileage in at least considering support
for marking files for this (if you're marking the binary/text
distinction, it doesn't seem to add much more complexity to allow a
couple of varieties of text).

[...]