Re: [Monotone-devel] Monotone 0.16 bug with filesystems

From: Julio M. Merino Vidal
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Monotone 0.16 bug with filesystems
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 21:45:47 +0100

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 19:41:58 +0200
Ossi Herrala <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello list
>
> I got this bug when I tried to run monotone (0.16 from NetBSD's
> pkgsrc). I was in NFS mounted directory and typed "monotone".

This seems to be a problem in boost, not monotone.  As I see in its code,
libs/filesystem/src/operations_posix_windows.cpp:

      long path_max = ::pathconf( ".", _PC_PATH_MAX );
      if ( path_max < 1 )
        boost::throw_exception(
          filesystem_error( "boost::filesystem::current_path",
            "_PC_PATH_MAX < 1" ) );

NetBSD is returning an error in the ::pathconf function when it's called
from within a NFS, kernfs or whatever else mounted directory.

I don't know what the problem is.  First of all, mainly because I can't
understand the purpose of pathconf(2).  Is the maximum path size related
in some way to the current directory?  Why it doesn't work for local
filesystems?  How does it behave under Linux?

IMO, you should file a bug in NetBSD's bug tracking system against boost
(not monotone) mentioning the issue.  However, suggesting the use of
monotone to reproduce the issue (in the How To Repeat section) could be
a good idea.  Even better, providing a little test case calling boost's
current_path should reproduce the problem.

Cheers,

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <address@hidden>
http://www.livejournal.com/users/jmmv/