Re: [Monotone-devel] monotone check and relinking

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] monotone check and relinking
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 10:24:37 -0800

On Sat, Jan 15, 2005 at 04:54:23PM +0100, Wojciech Mi?kowski wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have one question about relinking monotone binary during check phase.
> It seems that outputs from normal build and check build are different.
> Shouldn't be original binary backuped before, and restored after check
> stage to install proper one?
> And just for my curiosity, what exactly is made to that binary during
> check stage?

I think this is just that the code to embed the version number into
the build is a little over-eager, and tends to trigger rebuilds even
when they're not necessary.

I.e., 'make; make check' is actually building exactly the same
monotone binary twice, there's no special binary being used for the
"check" phase.  Rebuilding just mt-version.o and relinking is pretty
quick, though, so it's not that big a deal.

Damn the Solar System.  Bad light; planets too distant; pestered with
comets; feeble contrivance; could make a better one myself.
  -- Lord Jeffrey