[Monotone-devel] private keys: per-database vs. per-user

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: [Monotone-devel] private keys: per-database vs. per-user
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 21:28:33 -0800

Thinking about usability with Monotone... a common issue is the
handling of private keys, and in particular, how annoying it is if one
has multiple projects to have to keep shuffling one's key from one
project to the next.

So lots of people would like a way to store private keys on a per-user
basis, and there's even some (undocumented and untested) support for
this in mainline, via pasting some hex blob into one's .monotonerc.
This can probably be improved upon...

My question, though, is this.  Would we want to continue to support
storing keys in one's database at all?  Can anyone come up with any
use cases where it is important to store separate private keys for
separate projects?

"The problem...is that sets have a very limited range of
activities -- they can't carry pianos, for example, nor drink
beer."