[Monotone-devel] Re: change_set.cc:526: invariant 'I(j != p2.end())' vio

From: Peter Simons
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: change_set.cc:526: invariant 'I(j != p2.end())' violated
Date: 26 Jan 2005 00:10:54 +0100

Nathaniel Smith writes:

 >   rename_file "installed_packages/bnv_have_qt.m4"
 >            to "bnv_have_qt.m4"

 > however, the previous revision [id] already has a file
 > named bnv_have_qt.m4, which does not get deleted or
 > renamed or anything. Which is invalid; you can't have two
 > files with the same name, you have to say what happened
 > to the one that had that name originally...

Oh? Why is that?

I was using Monotone to track _exactly_ this kind of thing.
I was assuming there would be a conflict between the two
files now and that during the merge, I would be able to
resolve it. Actually, most of the files are even identical.
When I move one (in branch A or head A) in the location of
the other (in B), then I'd like to see that merge that they
are identical.

My problem is this: Two CVS repositories distribute the same
set of files, with only minor modifications here and there,
but they have two different directory layouts! So what I was
trying to do is to move them both in a flat hierarchy in
branches, merge that, and then I hope to be able to join
both repositories in one -- and continue to modify that
myself while tracking the others.

Did I misunderstand something?

 > So the root cause seems to be that you renamed one file
 > on top of another one, and we somehow forgot to put in a
 > check for this so it went into your database.

Maybe I do misunderstand you ... I thought that this would
be just another conflict that the user could resolve? Why is
it fundamentally impossible to rename one file over another?
Especially if they are identical?

 > In the mean time, you have a few options...

Thanks a lot for explaining that. Even if the database were
lost entirely, it wouldn't be that bad because there is no
original data of mine in there, so nothing is lost really.

 > Very sorry for the inconvenience :-(

On the contrary, I'm happy I've helped finding another bug,
which will be gone soon. :-)

I may as well use the chance and say that I have used
_every_ version control system there is, even helped a
little with the development of Darcs for quite a while (I
love Haskell), but Monotone is definitely the best of them
all. You guys are doing a great job.

Peter