Re: [Monotone-devel] revision.cc:166: invariant error

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] revision.cc:166: invariant error
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 15:22:04 -0800

On Sun, Jan 30, 2005 at 08:00:40PM +0000, Bruce Stephens wrote:
> I can get this error while trying to read the monotone-viz stuff into
> a newly created db.  i.e., this:
>
> brs% monotone --db=monotone-viz.db db init
> brs% wget 'http://oandrieu.nerim.net/monotone-viz/monotone-viz.key'
> brs% monotone --db=monotone-viz.db read < monotone-viz.key
> monotone: read 1 packet
> brs% monotone --db=monotone-viz.db pull karryall.dnsalias.org
> ocaml.monotone-viz

Haven't checked, but I'm willing to bet that this is the old bug in
'db rebuild' -- every history that was 'db rebuild'ed is impossible to
do a fresh pull on with the latest monotone snapshots, because they
all have invalid root revisions :-(.  (Doing a full pull will also be
very slow, because the paranoia needs more optimization.)  For now,
I'd drop back to a little bit earlier monotone, at least for doing the
initial pull... 0.17 will be another rebuild-required release, and
we'll be able to unwind from a lot of these little bugs that have
crept in.

"On arrival in my ward I was immediately served with lunch. `This is
what you ordered yesterday.' I pointed out that I had just arrived,
only to be told: `This is what your bed ordered.'"
  -- Letter to the Editor, The Times, September 2000