Re: [Monotone-devel] Syncing time

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Syncing time
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 03:47:28 -0800

On Sun, Mar 20, 2005 at 11:49:50AM +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
> Downloading the monotone repository with 0.17 just finished.  It took
> over one hour, on my reasonably fast laptop.  Most of the time is not
> spent on networking, but in the "verifying new revisions" stage.  I
> don't think this is acceptable.
>
> Is this a known issue?  Or could it be a local build problem which
> results in inefficient bignum code or something like that?

This is known.  You shoulda seen how slow the one were were using a
few weeks ago was :-).

It's a side-effect of monotone becoming very very paranoid about
corrupt data.  We decided that it would be better to optimize the
paranoia than remove it, but that's still a work in progress.  (On the
other hand, the paranoia keeps us honest -- it turns out there were
quite a number of ways in which 0.16 could build nonsensical
changesets, as we discovered when turning this on and trying to
get work done... having to fix these is a major reason why 0.17 is so
much later than expected.)

Hopefully 0.18 will be faster, just a matter of profiling and
optimization.  (Now if only I could get a working 2.6.11 kernel deb,
for running oprofile...)

"The problem...is that sets have a very limited range of
activities -- they can't carry pianos, for example, nor drink
beer."