Re: [Monotone-devel] Problem detected by 'db check'

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Problem detected by 'db check'
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 13:09:43 -0800

On Mon, Mar 28, 2005 at 09:30:26PM +0200, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've just started the migration to 0.17.  After following the UPGRADE
> document posted to the website, I still get this output from 'db check':
[...]
> monotone: revision 45cb6b87d27209c30b27685ae9064daa04c8b0dd mismatched
> certs (2 authors 2 dates 1 changelogs)
> monotone: warning: 1 mismatched certs
[...]
> I remember which revision is that, and how it was created.  It's a merge
> that was issued by me and another developer.  In fact, here is its log:
[...]
> Is db check really detecting a problem in the database?  Or is this just
> a false positive?
>
> As I see it, there are no problems with this "duplicate" merge.  And,
> FWIW, everything seems to be working fine.

It's not really a problem, just a bit peculiar -- you should have a
duplicate changelog on that revision too, but I guess the two
changelogs that differed only in which key was used to sign them got
merged into one by the rebuild.

>From http://www.venge.net/monotone/docs/Database.html:
 * revisions with mismatched certs that exist in the database with
   differing numbers of author, changelog and date certs. These certs are
   expected to appear together, as each revision committed should have an
   author, changelog and date associated with it. In itself, this is not
   a problem, but it is peculiar. All operations should behave normally.

I wouldn't worry about it.

"Of course, the entire effort is to put oneself
 Outside the ordinary range
 Of what are called statistics."
  -- Stephan Spender