Re: [Monotone-devel] Exclude fiiles from commit

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Exclude fiiles from commit
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 02:46:31 -0800

On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 12:21:11PM +0100, address@hidden wrote:
> It would be nice to have the facility to mark a file as 'do not commit'
> which then makes it ignored by commits until marked as 'ok to commit'
> again, plus a command to list these 'locally modified' files like ls
> uknown does for non-managed files.
>
> Thoughts?

I admit I'm a little bit dubious, on two counts:
  - we sorta think that making it hard to check in something besides
    what you have in your working dir is a feature.
  - this seems like an annoying and problematic setup in any case --
    surely, if you have files that people need to modify locally, you
    should instead check in a template file or something like that, so
    as to keep a well-defined separation between "versioned data" and
    "local scratch data"?  It must be really annoying in this setup
    when you _do_ have to check in some change to the configuration
    file (but probably not _all_ your changes)...
  - it's an extra bit of state to worry about, document, hope doesn't
    get accidentally mis-set, remember to check when things do go
    wrong, and so on.

Thoughts?

In mathematics, it's not enough to read the words
you have to hear the music