Re: [Monotone-devel] Notify script available

From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Notify script available
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 20:18:06 +0200 (CEST)

In message <address@hidden> on Thu, 31 Mar 2005 09:02:23 -0800, Nathaniel Smith
<address@hidden> said:

njs> On Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 05:44:14PM +0200, Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
wrote:
njs> > richard> That looks quite nice, and really solves a major part
njs> > richard> of my script.  I can still use those database
njs> > richard> variables and make the above, just get OLD_LEAVES in a
njs> > richard> different manner...
njs>
njs> I'm not entirely convinced this is a good use of database
njs> variables...  such a notifier presumably needs some work area, a
njs> database that polls, etc.; why not store the state it needs in a
njs> lookaside file?

Actually, Notify.pl only uses a work area to create temporary files (I
resorted to that when the diff for certain revisions, for example a
complete import of OpenSSL (!!!!) had my script start to trash the
swap space).  Everything else happens in memory or, for the saved
revision IDs, in the database itself.

Actually, I had started with a lookaside file (or rather, one for each
branch, but that doesn't matter), but switched to database variables
when that feature got added.

njs> This has the additional advantage that you can blow away the
njs> database without causing a deluge of email messages...

Now, that's actually a good argument.  I'll ponder this a bit more.
I'm reworking Notify.pl anyway, using the new automate features that
you added and tightening some code...

njs> Yeah, if you want to track changes to a single branch, then drop
njs> in "automate heads <branch>" in the place of "automate leaves"
njs> above.

Yup, that's what it does now.

njs> > Still, automate ancestry_differences and automate toposort
njs> > solve other parts of my script (that are buggy!) quite well.
njs> > All I need now is automate log and automate changes, then I'll
njs> > be able to make it really simple.  Hmm, maybe I can create
njs> > automate log, at the very least...
njs>
njs> Hmm, see IRC discussion on the best way to split these up... :-)

Honestly, it's a bit unfair to refer to IRC on a mailing list, unless
all conversations are logged somewhere...

njs> I think I like adding a --depth argument to "log" much better
njs> than "automate log" ATM, and not sure about the rest :-).

I agree.  Maybe an 'automate log' could be a variant that's easier to
parse...  But that's for the future, I'm actually quite happy with the
thought of --depth with the usual log command.

Cheers,
Richard

-----

                                        http://richard.levitte.org/