Re: [Monotone-devel] [ANNOUNCE] monotone 0.19

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] [ANNOUNCE] monotone 0.19
Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 04:15:05 -0700

On Thu, May 05, 2005 at 11:29:43AM +0200, Nico -telmich- Schottelius wrote:
> Hello Nathaniel, list,
>
> the results look very promising, still there's one value I am
> a bit concered about:
>
> Nathaniel Smith [Tue, May 03, 2005 at 04:36:56AM -0700]:
> >  - time to do a fresh pull of collection net.venge.monotone with 0.19
> >    (despite the collection being >25% larger than when 0.18 was
> >    released): 15m30s
>
> Do you know why it takes so long? Is it because too much cpu load
> or because of the masses of data transferred?
>
> If I assume 1Mbit/s, it makes 125KiB/s. And if I do now calculate
> ((15*60+30) * 125)/1024 with bc, it tells me I download about
> 113MiB. Is that true?

Well, that number is actually CPU load directly, since when putting
together the notes my machine had 2-3 builds running in the
background, so more proper benchmarking wasn't really possible :-).

However, the initial pull is on the whole mostly CPU bound; monotone
is rather busy doing hashing, compression, uncompression, xdelta
calculation and application, and extensive validity checking on all
the new data.

"...All of this suggests that if we wished to find a modern-day model
for British and American speech of the late eighteenth century, we could
probably do no better than Yosemite Sam."