Re: [Monotone-devel] zsh auto-completion

From: Joel Reed
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] zsh auto-completion
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 11:07:11 -0400

On Tue, May 10, 2005 at 09:38:25PM -0700, Nathaniel Smith wrote:

snip

> > Also if monotone complete had a quiet flag that printed nothing
> > at all if bad input was given like [h-z] chars, it would simplify
> > the zsh code a bit.
>
> Not sure what you mean.  Is there something wrong with 2>/dev/null in
> particular? :-)

nope, good idea!

> > An automate interface for getting file attribute keys would also help.
>
> Sounds useful; would you be interested in coming up with a
> proposal/implementation for this?

sure.

> > And an automate interface for getting the list of file patterns
> > to ignore, though ignore_files would need altering if we did that I'd
> > think.
>
> How would you use this?

right now, when offering to auto-complete monotone add i use:

(( $+_monotone_ignore_default )) ||
_monotone_ignore_default=( "(*.Po *.a *.olb *.o *.so *.exe *.Z *.elc *.ln
*.dirstamp *.rej *.orig *.BAK *.bak *.old autom4te.cache/* tags TAGS )" )

for files to ignore, but it'd be nice to ask monotone for the list it uses.

> > Drop _monotone in /usr/share/zsh/4.2.5/functions/Completion/Unix/_monotone,
> > for example, and send me your feedback/improvements!
>
> How do I use it if I don't want to put it in /usr?  I guess I can put
> it anywhere that zsh will look for functions?

ok, i added some instructions at the top of the file:

# Installing into /etc/zsh/:
#
# 1) if not present, add the line "fpath=(/etc/zsh $fpath)" to either
#    your system wide zshrc, or user ~/.zshrc
# 2) cp $MONOTONE/contrib/monotone.zsh_completion /etc/zsh/_monotone
#

jr