Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: .mt-ignore and .cvsignore files

From: Joel Crisp
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: .mt-ignore and .cvsignore files
Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 15:20:26 +0100

--no-ignore ? I belive other systems use a similiar option?

Joel

Nathaniel Smith wrote:
On Fri, May 13, 2005 at 11:40:37AM +0100, Nuno Lucas wrote:

[13-05-2005 0:08, David Brown escreveu]

On Thu, 12 May 2005 13:17:56 -0700, Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker I encountered this as a problem with 'arch', though, because their default ignore list has 'core' as a file to ignore. It also ignores the entire net/core directory when importing the linux kernel.

I'm one of those that decided to use monotone to version my /etc dir
and have this same problem with a /etc/init.d/net.lo file. Monotone
simply refuses to add it because it is an "ignorable" file.

It's not clear what to do here.  One solution that I thought of was
that 'ignore' only applies to files that are found recursively -- so
if you say "add init.d/", then net.lo will be ignored, but if you
actually straight-out say "add init.d/net.lo", then it will still be
added.

The problem with this is that it makes "add ." and "add *" quite
surprisingly different, so I'm dubious.

Any ideas?  How do other systems handle the "no, really, I actually
don't want to ignore this file, even though I said so elsewhere" case?

(In your case, I really would recommend overriding the ignore hook,
since the default really is designed for software development
projects...)