[Monotone-devel] line endings and binary files revisited...

From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
Subject: [Monotone-devel] line endings and binary files revisited...
Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 01:56:35 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

More than half a year ago, we had a discussion about how line endings
should be treated when storing files in the database, and how
differentiation between non-text (binary) and text files should be
performed.

I don't recall what the concensus was, except that line endings are
converted to \n before storing the file in the data base.

I have the feeling that however good, there's always a possibility
that a non-text files be interpreted as text files.  As long as you're
playing entirely in Unix, it's not a problem, since the line ending is
a \n, so there will be no conversion.  On Windows or on Mac, where the
line endine is \r\n and \r respectively, the matter is different.

I'm thinking that files should be stored entirely unchanged in the
database, and *possibly* be interpreted on output.  It has the benefit
of not being destructive, which I think would be a good thing...

Comments?

Cheers,
Richard

-----