Re: [Monotone-devel] Memory allocation during commits

From: Derek Scherger
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Memory allocation during commits
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 20:31:48 -0600

Eric Anderson wrote:
> Then another big chunk at database.cc:654 where we convert the c* to a
> string, and then prune off the back if it is large.  Sadly, we then do
> exactly the same vprintf again in the sqlite3_exec_vprintf, and then
> sqllite3 does 4 allocations of similar size during the parsing and
> execution.

the sqlite3 branch, if it hasn't been merged, removes the exec_vprintf
stuff entirely and uses prepared statements instead. it might be
interesting to see how much memory similar operations work using that
branch. I don't think there's anything serious blocking that from being
merged in but I'm not sure.

> Question 2: what are people's feelings about patching sqlite if that
> is necessary to eliminate some of the memory allocation?

probably using the prepared statement and blob apis will help out a lot
too. note that the sqlite3 branch does *not* use the blob apis but it
does do prepared statements.

Cheers,
Derek