Re: [Monotone-devel] patch: external diff support

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] patch: external diff support
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 01:27:50 -0700

On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 08:27:24PM -0600, Derek Scherger wrote:
> Vladimir Vukicevic wrote:
> > This patch adds an "xdiff" command, which calls an external_diff_hook,
> > giving it the path, old data, new data, and a flag whether the data is
> > binary or not (so that someone could, in theory, write a custom diff
> > tool for binary data.. e.g. an image diff or something similar).  The
> > patch also adds printing the file IDs in the built-in diff output, for
> > picky tools that expect there to be something after the filename in a
> > diff header (bugzilla, for example).
>
> seems reasonable to me... I think I'd personally prefer both cdiff and
> xdiff as options to the standard diff command though. i.e.
>
> monotone diff --context
> monotone diff --external

Haven't had a chance to read the patch itself, but I agree that this
format would be much nicer.  (Unless we anticipate one of those
options have some meaning for some other command?  I guess --context
might want to mean something like grep's "how many lines of context"
switch in some, err, context or another.  I guess --external might
want to mean something else somewhere else too?  Dunno, neither of
these are too compelling.)

IBM manual SENG-5155-01:  Power Supply and Air Moving Device Installation
Instruction for iSeries 820 and 5075.