[Monotone-devel] Re: Merging an ancestor with one of its grandchildren

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Merging an ancestor with one of its grandchildren
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 20:37:23 +0100

Tom Koelman <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> I feel propagate's behaviour on this is a bit hacky, though. There
> is now a hole in the history of the main branch, by which I mean a
> lot of revisions that aren't tagged 'main'. I can't think of
> anything that would go wrong with this, but it doesn't feel right.

Yes, that's been discussed not so long ago.  It causes graph-drawing
tools such as monotone-viz to produce surprising graphs.  I suspect
the reason was mostly to do with implementation, but as was pointed
out, it forces people to deal with the fact that monotone ancestry
graphs can be disconnected in this way.

[...]