Re: [Monotone-devel] Broken monotone 0.19 database

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Broken monotone 0.19 database
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2005 21:35:19 -0700

On Sun, Oct 09, 2005 at 10:48:19PM -0500, Glen Ditchfield wrote:
> I have a monotone database, used with monotone 0.19, that now gives me
> invariant violation messages.  To complicate matters, I ran "monotone db
> update" with monotone 0.23 in my working directory, without saving the MT
> directory.  Fortunately nothing irreplacable is in the database, but if
> there's an easy way out of this mess, I'd like to hear about it...

I'm afraid I don't quite understand the problem.  You have a database
you've been using with 0.19.  It started giving you problems.  You
tried upgrading to monotone 0.23 (and running the migration commands
like 'db migrate', I guess?), and it still gave you problems (and
corrupted your MT/revision file to boot)?  So then you restored the
database backup you had sensibly made before running 'db migrate', and
went back to 0.19, and it still caused problems?

If all that's right, can we get a run of 'monotone status --debug'
done against the migrated database, using monotone 0.23?  0.23 has
somewhat better debugging info, and we'll be much more familiar with
the code :-).

Also, is the database itself available to poke at?

(Note, BTW, that uncorrupting MT/revision is pretty easy; the file
just contains a single revision hash, which is the revision you
originally checked out or updated to (so monotone knows what the stuff
in the working is "based on", which it needs to know so it can figure
out what stuff you've just changed and what stuff started out the way
it is).  To uncorrupt it, just figure out what revision you _were_
working off of, and do 'echo <that hash> > MT/revision'.)

"The problem...is that sets have a very limited range of
activities -- they can't carry pianos, for example, nor drink
beer."

This email may be read aloud.