[Monotone-devel] Re: Merging outside monotone?

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Merging outside monotone?
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 19:10:57 +0100

"Matthew A. Nicholson" <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> I have always like the way monotone handles merging vs CVS.  I
> always hated cvs just dumping unmerged files all over the place.

I don't find that too bad.  A sane tool would also be able to tell me
(after it's done all that) which files had conflicts.  If it did that,
then the CVS behaviour seems OK.

Probably it depends how many files have conflicts: if it's only a
handful, then the current behaviour probably seems very convenient; if
you're merging two divergent branches for some reason (maybe you
imported a new version of some package) and there are lots of
conflicts, then I'm less sure about the current behavious.

> Also I like the ability to use vimdiff to merge my files.

OK, but surely you could do that regardless?  Indeed, if monotone
behaved a little more like CVS, you'd have more choice: you could use
vimdiff on some files, and some other tool on others, as seemed
appropriate.  (I know you can do that with lua hooks now.)

> I don't think this is a bad option to have as long as it does not
> interfere with the current behavior.

I don't care much whether the current behaviour continues to exist.  I
guess it's likely to be easy enough to keep it: you just go through
each file with conflicts in some random order, and call the lua hook,
as now.