Re: [Monotone-devel] new default get_netsync_*_permitted hooks

From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] new default get_netsync_*_permitted hooks
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 22:00:53 +0200 (CEST)

In message <address@hidden> on Sun, 23 Oct 2005 14:02:43 -0500, Timothy
Brownawell <address@hidden> said:

tbrownaw> The get_netsync_*_permitted hooks now have default
tbrownaw> definitions, which read $confdir/{read,write}-permissions .

Cool!

tbrownaw> read-permissions looks like
tbrownaw>
tbrownaw> [net.example.project.security*]
tbrownaw> [net.example.project.private*]
tbrownaw> ! --all--
tbrownaw> address@hidden
tbrownaw> address@hidden
tbrownaw> [net.example.public*]
tbrownaw> [net.example.project*]
tbrownaw> --all--
tbrownaw>
tbrownaw> where [something] is a wildcard that's matched against the
tbrownaw> branch.  "! key" means deny access, "--all--" means allow
tbrownaw> everyone access, and "! --all--" means to stop looking if
tbrownaw> the key isn't mentioned in the current section. More
tbrownaw> specific branch patterns should be at the top, if there's a
tbrownaw> "[*]" it should be the last entry.
tbrownaw>
tbrownaw> Thoughts in general, or for a better format for
tbrownaw> read-permissions?

Just a small variation: I think that as soon as a section that matches
the queried branch is found, the search for permissions should stop
there and only the permissions in that section should be considered.
The whole '! --all--' business is just confusing.  Your example would
also end up simpler:

 [net.example.project.security*]
 [net.example.project.private*]
 address@hidden