Re: [Monotone-devel] Promoting usher to become a standard utility

From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Promoting usher to become a standard utility
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 07:38:17 +0200 (CEST)

In message <address@hidden> on Tue, 25 Oct 2005 00:08:07 -0500, Timothy
Brownawell <address@hidden> said:

tbrownaw> Hmm... I like this idea. ;)

Thought you would :-)

tbrownaw> ...but then, it's hard to test properly since that would
tbrownaw> require doing things like reloading the config file and
tbrownaw> rearranging the servers while there's a number of open
tbrownaw> connections (in particular, when I first put in config file
tbrownaw> reloading any connections after the reload would go to a new
tbrownaw> server object, and so a new server process, even if the old
tbrownaw> server (likely with the same db) was still running (from
tbrownaw> still having open connections), even on servers that hadn't
tbrownaw> been changed), which I think the current test framework is
tbrownaw> entirely too linear to handle easily.

(hmm, that's not too far from competting with Douglas Adams, who had
this one-sentence paragraph in one of the Hitch-Hickers books :-))

I'm willing to explore that.  Slowly, though, as I'm swamped at work
right now, up until the end of next week or something like that.

Cheers,
Richard

                                        http://richard.levitte.org/

                                                -- C.S. Lewis