Re: [Monotone-devel] Suggestion for new commit variant

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Suggestion for new commit variant
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 01:17:53 -0700

On Thu, Oct 27, 2005 at 01:00:30AM -0700, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 27, 2005 at 08:55:30AM +0200, Wim Oudshoorn wrote:
> > monotone newcommit [-b branch] -parentrevs rev1 rev2 ....
> >
> > That is, I can commit a set of source files
> > and explicitly specify the parent revisions.
>
> I've been thinking it might be nice to have some sort of explicitly
> controlled commit command for use in automation, that let you specify
> all the pieces explicitly instead of having to set up a tree, play
> nice with the commit editor, etc.
>
> A problem with this solution is that you need more than a set of
> files; you need the changeset from each parent.  If there are no
> renames, the changeset can be derived from the set of files, but...
> that's a special case, and we should be consistent.

Hrm, on re-reading, this is ambiguous, sorry.

What I mean is that I like the idea in general (first paragraph), but
the version of it you describe is missing something (second
paragraph).  So the "this solution" in the second paragraph actually
refers to what you were saying, not what I was just saying...

The Universe may  /  Be as large as they say
But it wouldn't be missed  /  If it didn't exist.
  -- Piet Hein