Re: [Monotone-devel] A little iconv issue

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] A little iconv issue
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 10:26:46 -0800

On Wed, Nov 23, 2005 at 02:37:05PM +0200, Rus V. Brushkoff wrote:
>  When adding filenames with glyphs in local charset monotone outputs to
> stdout message in UTF-8, wich is somewhat confusing, as the console not in
> UTF-8 mode, for ex. :

> bash# monotone add 'some_name_in_another_charset'
> monotone: adding 'utf-8_encoded_some_name_in_another_charset' to working
> copy add set
> bash#
>
> May it will be better to convert stdout output back to console locale.

Yes, this stuff is a bit of a mess right now.  The problem is that our
output in general is not in utf-8; most messages are in the local
charset.  But for internally generated stuff like filenames, we have
to go through and for each string make sure it either gets converted
or not as appropriate...

Though, getting just paths right is actually not too hard, since we
already have a "give me this path in display format" function
(paths.cc's operator<<(ostream, any_path), which currently just dumps
the utf-8 "internal" form to the stream).  Someone could certainly fix
that, and life would be just that much better...

"If you can explain how you do something, then you're very very bad at it."
  -- John Hopfield