[Monotone-devel] random thought on peg restrictions

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: [Monotone-devel] random thought on peg restrictions
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 03:38:53 -0800

Here's an interesting question one might want to ask -- "when did the
file name foo/bar.txt get deleted?".  You might think 'log
foo/bar.txt' would tell you, but no, log will trace back a logical
file, and the logical file that used to be named foo/bar.txt no longer
exists.  So that doesn't work unless you already know a rev where it
was alive.

So along the lines of peg revisions:
  http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch07s03.html
it might be useful to have an "any" peg, which means, "any file whose
name matches this given name, at whatever points in history where it
matches".  So you'd say 'log foo/address@hidden' or whatever, and get a
list of changes filtered by surface name, not logical node id.

And the sort of functionality required to code this -- keeping names
around, instead of just going straight to node ids -- seems
interestingly close to the wartish part of the node-id-based
restrictions code, where it needs to do something similar to deal with
unversioned items?

I have no idea whether this goes anywhere, it was just a random
thought before bed, so I thought I'd jot it down for future reference,
and in case it sparked anything down the line :-).

Cheers,

Damn the Solar System.  Bad light; planets too distant; pestered with
comets; feeble contrivance; could make a better one myself.
  -- Lord Jeffrey