Re: [Monotone-devel] project_t , and preparing for projects / policy bra

From: Ethan Blanton
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] project_t , and preparing for projects / policy branches
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 10:28:35 -0500

Nathaniel J. Smith spake unto us the following wisdom:
> > Except that tagging is explicit, whereas a 'mtn ci' in the wrong
> > workspace or with the wrong branch name set from some previous
> > command is really easy to do.  This is one of the bigger problems
> > I have with svn -- that there is no such notion of tags.
>
> If you're always committing things on the wrong branch, that sounds
> like a pretty serious problem with the branch UI, that we'll need to
> fix eventually regardless of what happens to tags.

Well, as some other replies have indicated, it *is* a little more
complicated than it seems like it should be at first blush.  However,
I haven't (yet) had this problem with monotone, it's more of an svn
gripe that I see as a monotone possibility if tags disappear.

> Of course, I guess you're thinking of how svn tags work, where if you
> check out a tag then you are left with a workspace that you can commit
> to, and commits will modify the tag, rather than the original branch
> that the tag is off of?  That sounds like exactly the same problem
> that I identified.  Are there any others?

Precisely.

> > The likelihood of accidentally typing 'mtn tag -r <rev>
> > frobnicator-release-2.0.3' is pretty low.  ;-)
>
> The likelihood of accidentally typing 'mtn branch -r <rev>
> frobnicator-release-2.0.3' seems pretty low to me too :-).

Sure, but checking out a release version to do some regression
testing, finding a bug, and accidentally committing it to the "tag"
branch seems pretty likely to me -- in fact, even *more* likely than
it would be with svn, due to the usefulness of DaggyFixes.

At any rate, I think we're all on the same page.

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.