Re: [Monotone-devel] avoid iconv differences [Was: Tests passing!]

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] avoid iconv differences [Was: Tests passing!]
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2007 00:13:39 -0800

On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 03:23:01PM +0100, Lapo Luchini wrote:
> Seems a good & clean approach to me.
> I'll pursue it ASAP (a few days worth of bus-travels from and to my
> workplace).
> I have to remember that "skip" in this case is not "++pos", but rather
> "pos+=utf8_char_len(pos);" (for an hypothetical utf_char_len function).

This is a nice optimization (though not the end of the world if we
don't have it; the only impact is that we might put the wrong number
of question marks in the output, oh well), and we have various utf8
character handling stuff -- check the utf8 validation code and the
idna library.

The important thing, though, is to make sure that whatever you do
still works even with random ill-formed utf8, and when we're not
converting out of utf8 at all...

Damn the Solar System.  Bad light; planets too distant; pestered with
comets; feeble contrivance; could make a better one myself.
  -- Lord Jeffrey