Re: [Monotone-devel] About merge_into_workspace...

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] About merge_into_workspace...
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2007 21:59:59 -0800

On Sun, Mar 04, 2007 at 12:21:34PM +1300, Matthew Gregan wrote:
> At 2007-03-03T11:46:22+0100, Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker wrote:
> > I'm wondering, is there going to be a time when merge_into_workspace will
> > just save the files with conflict markers in them?  And in that case, what
> > will happen with non-text files?  Is this at all the intention?
>
> There will be in-workspace conflict resolution, i.e. we'll write out a
> workspace which has conflicts in it.  The conflicts may or may not be
> represented using CVS-style conflict markers (I suspect not).

I think the plan was to write out both a file with conflicts in it,
and also left/right/ancestor files to run your merge tool on.  So if
you wanted to run 'mtn resolve', you get the merge tool that
overwrites your conflict-markered-file, and if you wanted to be
old-school and just pound on the conflict-markered file, you could do
that too.

(...This does require we learn to generate conflict markers, which
IIRC is not entirely trivial.)

"But suppose I am not willing to claim that.  For in fact pianos
are heavy, and very few persons can carry a piano all by themselves."