Re: [Monotone-devel] net.venge.monotone.deregexp

From: Daniel Carosone
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] net.venge.monotone.deregexp
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 18:32:08 +1100

On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 11:11:29PM -0800, Zack Weinberg wrote:
> On 2/28/07, Nathaniel Smith <address@hidden> wrote:
> >is... not quite like real globs.  (No [] character matching, but with
> >{} alternations.  And we can't trivially change it, because it's in
> >the network protocol.)
>
> What would the consequences be to the network protocol if globish changed?

It will have to change sometime anyway, since global-branch-name globs
for sync will have to be replaced with something else that represents
branch-id patterns based on (locally-significant or divergent)
policy-based names. This is a change both for the network protocol and
the UI that drives it.

So this kind of becomes a question of timeframes and cost/benefit; is
it worth another flag day sooner around regex/globs before policy
branches? Conversely, maybe it's not so bad bearing the cost of an
extra globish implementation if it has a sunset date rather than being
forever.

--
Dan.