[Monotone-devel] portable-gettext-support

From: Patrick Georgi
Subject: [Monotone-devel] portable-gettext-support
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 10:41:03 +0100

Hi,

on net.venge.monotone.portable-gettext-support, I'm working on support for NLS on systems without GNU gettext installed (incl. the capability of building configure scripts without gnu gettext m4 files and their dependencies). I think it's at a point where more testing and feedback is required.

For gettext support, there are two aspects to cover: The user side (those who want to build NLS enabled monotone), and the developer side (those who want to maintain languages).
I think the branch is basically complete on the user side:
- it looks for the tools
- it provides a way to disable NLS altogether if you don't want it
- it disables NLS if the tools aren't enough
- it builds the .mo files from .po files
- cleans up properly
- installs properly

TODO: (if I missed anything, please say so)
- make more robust if necessary (for this I need testing)
- figure out how to determine if .mo or .gmo is the right suffix for the message catalog objects. (currently it always builds to .mo) - remove the obsolete files in po/ (I'll do this after the development stuff works)

The developer side is basically non-existant right now, it only checks for presence of xgettext and msgmerge.
For this I need to know:
- which make targets do you want and what should they do
- what should happen automatically, and what not (eg. we had some magic in configure to disable message catalog source rebuild on code changes)

Regards,
Patrick Georgi