[Monotone-devel] YANQ (yet another newbie question)

From: Ken MacDonald
Subject: [Monotone-devel] YANQ (yet another newbie question)
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 17:25:02 -0400

Hi,
Searched the archives and doc, and couldn't find an answer for this -
or didn't recognize it as the answer if I did:

I created a branch in a subdirectory, using what I found out later was
the "wrong" name according to our naming conventions. In that
subdirectory, I created a file and committed it to the DB. I realized
my mistake, went back up, and created a new subdir, with a different
name (turns out it's still wrong, sigh). Re-created the file with the
same name. Then went back up and deleted the "wrong" subdirectory and
contents (using the filesystem commands, not mtn), went back into the
"almost-right" subdir and committed, which tells me that I've created
divergence, and may (or not) want to merge it away.

C:\mydb\almost-right_branch>mtn merge
mtn: 2 heads on branch 'net.cti.kippers.main'
mtn: [left]  84f197168b9040ac6ae2f4348e27bff6dc9d4015
mtn: [right] a4628d1c27d7e771066f73c7caed1f79838b8eac
mtn: warning: rename target conflict: nodes 3, 1, both want parent 0, name
mtn: warning: resolve non-content conflicts and then try again.
mtn: error: merge failed due to unresolved conflicts

So, at this point I can't merge and would like to be able to get rid
of the original version, but I can't 'drop' it because the path
../wrong_branch/file is gone, and I'm not sure what will make this
happy again. Of course, I can delete the whole DB and start again
since I only have one file, but I'm thinking ahead to when that may
not be as practical.
Thanks for any suggestions to help sort this out,
Ken