Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Announce: DisTract - Distributed Bug Tracker ba

From: Matthew Sackman
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Announce: DisTract - Distributed Bug Tracker based on Monotone
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 12:50:53 +0100

On Tue, Apr 24, 2007 at 12:37:04PM +0100, Bruce Stephens wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 24, 2007 at 12:05:39PM +0100, Bruce Stephens wrote:
> I can imagine that being done from files in a practical way: just
> stick Lucene (or CLucene, Pylucene, SQLite3 (with free text search),
> etc.) on top.  We've only got O(50000) bugs in our database, so it
> seems quite practical for all of us to have a copy (or more than one)
> of the whole database (constructed from files).
>
> However, I'm not really sure that would work better, except that it
> would permit offline access---which is worth something, but I'm not
> sure how much it's worth.

Well a couple of points spring to mind. Firstly, I would expect that
you'd have a seperate bug database per project rather than one huge
centralised system. This could, if necessary, be further divided per
branch or release cycle or so forth. So right there, that gets you some,
hopefully significant, selection of bugs. And then the rest of the
implementation, like you say, shouldn't really be that taxing.

I guess, whilst writing code and dealing with bugs are two different
things, you could well ask, what the advantages of using a DSCM, and do
those advantages cross over into something like DisTract? Personally, I
think for a lot of them, they do. Not just with the general disconnect
operation either, but for example, with policy branches: it may well be
possible to prevent a "code" branch being merged back into the main
trunk or "release" branch unless the "bug" branch corresponding to that
code has no open bugs. That kind of thing. I hope that there are some
very cool and useful possibilities that I've not thought of at all yet.

Matthew
--
Matthew Sackman
http://www.wellquite.org/