Re: [Monotone-devel] partial pull #2 - gaps instead of a single horizon

From: Markus Schiltknecht
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] partial pull #2 - gaps instead of a single horizon
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 09:57:02 +0200

Hi,

Timothy Brownawell wrote:
So all we have to worry about is whether the history graph is
well-formed (because that graph is based entirely on (1), which we don't
know), and the worst problem we can have is that your database becomes
broken and unusable.

Uhm.. I've lost you here. Who's 'we'?

Let's stick with the server vs. client notation for a moment. Assuming the server has the full history. On an initial pull, the client is trusting the server to provide it what's advertised. To authenticate revisions, the client can then check the rev certs.

Thus, an initial partial pull is no different in any way: the client normally trust the server to be who it claims to be, but the client can check the certs on the revisions later on (assuming it already knows the pubkeys).

Even if the server only has a partial repository, i.e. its repository has gaps in it as well, it's all the same process. Thus I'm beginning to think that checking gap information is totally unnecessary.

This would drive me away from using normal revisions (with a correct hash and possibly with certs) as sentinels, because that's overkill. Better stick with my original idea of having sentinels for revisions. Those sentinels happen to use a very similar textual description as revisions, but their description certainly doesn't hash to the revision id they sentinel.

Am I missing something important here?

Regards

Markus