Re: [Monotone-devel] partial pull #2 - gaps instead of a single horizon

From: Markus Schiltknecht
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] partial pull #2 - gaps instead of a single horizon
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2007 09:56:08 +0200

Hi,

Rob Schoening wrote:
For instance, what if you simply deferred the full sync until *after* the
user got his workspace?  That is, don't worry about trying to solve the
problem of syncing repositories that look like swiss cheese. But do allow a
user to get the first slice without copying the whole block....

How is that different from partial pull? We *need* that first slice to do a checkout, but only having a first slice means having a partial repository...

Perhaps you are thinking about something like transferring a tar archive of the requested revision and having a workspace which is not based on a monotone repository at all (sort of)? But for which monotone would only know how to fetch the repository and upgrade that workspace to a fully monotone repo based workspace?

For me, that simply looks too much like partial pull. Except that it adds another transferring format and another kind of workspace. Too much unneeded work, IMO.

Regards

Markus