Re: [Monotone-devel] partial pull #2 - gaps instead of a single horizon

From: Thomas Moschny
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] partial pull #2 - gaps instead of a single horizon
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2007 12:55:24 +0200

On Saturday 02 June 2007, Derek Scherger wrote:
> > May I ask what that exactly means? Where can I read more about that?
>
> There's a few places in the code where we simply don't print the root
> node because it has an essentially invisible name. In other places
> (automate inventory maybe) it gets displayed but its name is "" so
> subsequent scripts need to deal with that as a special case. It would be
> nice to have some consistency in this (which we could possibly do
> anytime in terms of normal output but not for internal storage without a
> flag day). So instead of storing a/b/c we might use ./a/b/c where the
> root node has a nice (i.e. externally usable) name.

Well, I don't see how replacing one special case with another one could
simplify anything. Maybe monotone's output code then doesn't need to care
anymore, but external tools would have to deal with that special root dir
name anyway. In trac for example, all paths start with '/'.

Overall, the gain for such a big change (all manifests and revisions and thus
also their ids will change) seems to be rather small.

Or is there another benefit of explicitly naming the root directory, i.e. can
you (after having made that change) imagine a use case for stored paths
*without* them? If not, prepending each path with './' is just redundant.

- Thomas M.