[Monotone-devel] db sync file: on windows and FAT32

From: Benoît Dejean
Subject: [Monotone-devel] db sync file: on windows and FAT32
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 15:38:12 +0200

Hello everyone,

I'm running 0.35.

It always seems to me that db sync on Windows is much slower than on GNU
+Linux. Today, i've copied a 2MiB db to my flashkey in order to sync on
my laptop. I ran sync file:/media/USB/foo.db and immediatly got a disk
full warning.

It looks like that /media/USB/foo.db-journal is a sparse-file which
totally sucks on FAT32. It's apparent size is 1.6GiB during the sync
while 530KiB are really allocated.

I don't care about moving in/out a such a small db, i was just wondering
if everything is OK. Maybe this should be documented.

Here's another problem on windows : Then back on my windows computer, i
tried to sync c:\foo.db with with X:\bar.db (where C: is a local NTFS
volume and X: a NTFS network share). It hangs. So i ended in using a
3rd network peer to sync two local databases.
I also tested sync between 2 local databases : it also hangs.

Does file sync work on windows ?

--
Benoît Dejean
GNOME http://www.gnomefr.org/