Re: [Monotone-devel] mtn copy anyone?

From: Ethan Blanton
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] mtn copy anyone?
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 10:12:39 -0400

Brian May spake unto us the following wisdom:
>     Nathaniel> actually affect the history model -- then there are
>     Nathaniel> questions like how it works through merging.  This is
>     Nathaniel> unclear too; there are a few alternative, contradictory
>     Nathaniel> "natural" semantics for copy WRT merge.  (There's a
>     Nathaniel> little about this at
>     Nathaniel> http://www.venge.net/mtn-wiki/HistoryBlueSky.)
>
> I would prefer we stayed out of this mess. Don't explicitly track
> history, but maybe record some sort of pointer indicating where the
> file came from, if required.
>
> Or maybe track history, but only for some commands like annotate, and
> definitely not merging. This might be confusing though.

Note that this is what svn does, and it is *really* annoying.  The
shear between what works as one would expect and what does not is
non-obvious.  That isn't to say that monotone couldn't do better, but
generally speaking, information which "vanishes" for some operations
is frustrating.

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.