Re: [Monotone-devel] Is this a bug?

From: Derek Scherger
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Is this a bug?
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 23:34:17 -0600

Rob Schoening wrote:
> Peripherally related to this, one thing I've noticed is that file and
> directory renames are handled slightly differently vis-a-vis mtn mv.
>
> If you start with the following file:
>
> dir1/a.txt
>
> And move a.txt to b.txt on the filesystem, and then issue "mtn mv a.txt
> b.txt" (with or without --bookkeep-only), monotone does what you would
> expect.  (I suspect that the excess verbiage of what it is doing may
> confuse new users, but that's neither here nor there.)
>
> The discrepancy of usage crops up when you "mtn mv" the directory.  If
> dir1 has already been renamed dir2 on the filesystem, neither "mtn mv
> dir1 dir2" nor "mtn mv --bookkeep-only dir1 dir2" will cause monotone to
> record the rename.  To complete the action, it seems that you have to do
> something like the following:
>
> mv dir2 temp
> mtn mv dir1 dir2
> mv temp dir2

I haven't tried this yet but was thinking that it might be related to
the restricted_diff_bug and restricted_revert_bug mentioned in my
previous email. Reading this again it sounds like something else but
I'll try to have a look at some point.

This might also be a bug with the --bookkeep-only option or something
else about mv. It sounds like this was with a slightly older mtn and I'm
wondering if it still happens. Can you confirm?

Thanks,
Derek