Re: [Monotone-devel] Makefile problem; check-local?

From: Zack Weinberg
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Makefile problem; check-local?
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 10:32:50 -0700

On 8/28/07, Stephen Leake <address@hidden> wrote:
> make[3]: *** No rule to make target `tester_tests.status', needed by
> `check-local'.  Stop.
>
> I don't see a `check-local' target in monotone-build_mingw/Makefile,
> nor a 'tester_tests.status', so I'm lost. Usually I can figure out
> Makefiles, but this one has me stumped. Any pointers?

There is a fair amount of black magic going on.  There *should* be a
check-local target, but the tester_tests.status target is coming from
a 'pattern rule'.  It won't work with anything but GNU Make.  You
should see something like this in the Makefile:

# testsuite stuff (could this possibly be more ugly?)  To get
# parallelism, we cannot use Automake's TESTS feature at all.  The
# shell script embedded in the 'check-local' rule is partially
# borrowed from automake 1.9's check.am

check-local: tester_tests.status unit_tests.status lua_tests.status
        @all=0; failed=0; error=0;                                             \

and later

# The leading + causes Make to treat this as a recursive invocation,
# allowing it to participate in the jobserver protocol.
%_tests.status: run_%_tests %-testsuite.lua tester FORCE
        +./run_$*_tests

If you do not have these things, you need to run autoreconf -i in the
source tree, wipe out your build tree and re-configure it.

Failing that, what version of what implementation of Make are you
using?  Those look like GNU Make diagnostics, but you might well have
an old buggy version.

zw