Re: [Monotone-devel] [best practices] How to merge a large code dump wit

From: Timothy Brownawell
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] [best practices] How to merge a large code dump with no history?
Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 11:11:52 -0500

On Sat, 2008-05-24 at 09:33 -0400, Jack Lloyd wrote:
> I just received a pretty large code dump for Botan that adds a number
> interesting things. However all the changes are mixed together (about
> 10 distinct changes). And one change, that converts all bare pointers
> to either shared_ptr or auto_ptr, changes nearly every file.
>
> I have currently just moved a version into mtn based against the same
> version of Botan they used and reverted changes that definitely
> wouldn't go into mainline (deleting algorithms, mostly). This seems
> like it would be the easiest way to handle further code dumps in the
> future as well (I can just unzip into a workspace).
>
> But if I check this in as a new branch, how do I get singular changes
> out again? What is the best way to deal with a situation like this
> with mtn? `pluck`? A merge tool trick? 'Don't do that then'?

I'd go with "don't do that then" (to the big dump, not the wanting to
split it).

But since someone *did* do that, maybe commit in a branch (which nobody
should ever merge back), undo the different changes individually (lots
of annoying work, but at least you have the help keeping track of where
you are), and pluck each undo backwards (mtn pluck -r child -r parent).
Or ask them to split it for you and re-send. :)