Re: [Monotone-devel] minor heads up for Windows people

From: Zack Weinberg
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] minor heads up for Windows people
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 12:31:01 -0400

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 8:41 AM, Stephen Leake
<address@hidden> wrote:
> "Zack Weinberg" <address@hidden> writes:
>> On mainline there is now a small program called "check_net" that the
>> testsuite invokes to decide whether or not it should run netsync
>> tests.
[...]
> I guess if you are running a network firewall, it might object to the
> local loopback connection.
>
> I should think just attempting to establish a connection in exactly
> the same way netsync does would be the best test.

That is what the Unix check_net does.  I don't know what the
differences are on Windows and didn't feel like digging through netxx
to figure it out.  (I suppose I could have just written the checker to
the netxx API, but it was easier to do it with bare sockets.)

[...]
> So until someone encounters an actual problem on Windows, I think we
> can leave things as they are.

Ok.

>> [...] I assume there is *some* equivalent of AF_UNIX on
>> Windows...)
>
> That would be named pipes, and they are sufficiently different from
> unix sockets that things break; that's why file: and ssh: are not
> supported on Windows.
>
> We need to switch to boost aio (or some equivalent non-moribund
> library) before we try that.

Agreed.  asio 1.0 doesn't support anything but IP sockets, but I think
I saw an announcement that 1.1 would.  And it looks pretty easy to
work with.

zw