Re: [Monotone-devel] heads up on nvm.stripped

From: Markus Wanner
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] heads up on nvm.stripped
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 17:26:48 +0100

Hi,

Jack Lloyd wrote:
> I've attached a patch for sha1.cc demoing the new benchmark code.

Very cool, thank you. FYI, my Core (1) Duo reports:

mtn: Benchmarking botan's SHA-1 core
mtn: SHA-1 provider 'core': 117.172 MiB/s
mtn: SHA-1 provider 'ia32': 135.325 MiB/s

> For
> informative purposes only, since it currently only works on an
> unreleased version (future 1.7.22, nrb head), and API-wise things are
> still in flux in this area.

That's fine.

I fear the #ifdef's are not quite enough. We'd have to check for the
botan version dynamically. So I'd say we better wait a bit until that
API stabilizes.

> In the future it may be useful to extend Monotone to run a quick test
> and then choose the fastest SHA-1 provider to use for the rest of the
> program run. 20 milliseconds of benchmark time at startup could pay
> for itself quickly in many cases.

..or even store the setting in _MTN/options because such a benchmark
might not pay-off every time mtn is invoked. Alternatively have it
stored in monotonerc and set as a system config during installation of
monotone. Storing in _MTN/options sounds easier to automate, so I'm
currently favoring that variant.

Regards

Markus Wanner