[Monotone-devel] Re: heads up on nvm.stripped

From: Lapo Luchini
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: heads up on nvm.stripped
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 09:51:28 +0100

Markus Wanner wrote:
>> nice sh -c 'SHELL=/bin/sh ; autoreconf -i &&
>> CXXFLAGS="-I/usr/local/include" LUA_CFLAGS="-I/usr/local/include/lua51"
>> LUA_LIBS="-llua-5.1" LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/lib" ./configure && gmake'
>
> Aha, so it was lua, which posed some problems.
>
> What's the purpose of "SHELL=/bin/sh"?  Is that required if there's
> already a 'configure' (i.e. as in the tarball)?

I'm not really sure about that, but my shell of choice is zsh and
without that configure would sometimes give an error reported by zsh...
I guess somewhere it assumes the shell to be sh and doesn't check, or
something.
The internals of the compiled configure are a bit scary and that
empirical solution worked well enough to satiate my curiosity ;)

I'll check again in the future maybe, but I guess it's something
specific to my installation and you can probably avoid it.

>> Actually lua installs a .pc for pkg-config, but it's versioned:
>> % pkg_info -L lua-5.1.3_3|fgrep .pc
>> /usr/local/libdata/pkgconfig/lua-5.1.pc
>
> Hm.. on Debian it's just "lua5.1". Strange.

I guess the "correct" name would be just "lua", but when two version are
not compatible the port/package-maintainers need to come up with a
different name, not necessarily consistent across systems...

> However, it's simple enough to teach the lua.m4 script. Done in
> 2a7c7d45284e1eedee141f5627f612a954c6eb9d.
>
> Not having to use flags is even easier, no?

Of course ;-)

> Having a monotone ports package for FreeBSD would be great!
> And along the way, update botan's port to 1.8.x as well... :-)

Hey, we do have monotone in the Ports since quite a few, since well
before my arrival in fact ;-)
(and packages get compiled automatically when there is a working port)

http://www.freshports.org/devel/monotone/

I'm looking forward to "stripped" landing!

--
Lapo Luchini - http://lapo.it/

“The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead
channel.” (William Gibson, "Neuromancer")