Re: [Monotone-devel] Dealing with lost key

From: Ethan Blanton
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Dealing with lost key
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 19:26:58 -0500

dlakelan spake unto us the following wisdom:
> Ethan Blanton wrote:
>> Note that it is actually sufficient to sign only the newest known good
>> revisions, and the transitive closure of the revision graph will
>> capture all good revisions.
>
> Is this "sufficient in theory" (ie. that's enough to compute the proper
> trust), or "sufficient in practice" (ie. monotone will already be
> sufficiently happy and not complain about invalid certs etc if I just
> sign the most recent revision)

It should be both.  It's absolutely sufficient in theory, and my
experience with other trust certs suggests it will be sufficient in
practice.  Checking out an older revision might pose difficulties, I
guess (you might have to put an ancestry check in trust checks?), but
newer revisions would not.

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.