Re: [Monotone-devel] cvssync plans/status?

From: Markus Wanner
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] cvssync plans/status?
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 11:06:18 +0100

Hi,

Emile Snyder wrote:
> Does anyone use any of these branches at the moment for working on code
> whose canonical repo is the CVS version?  Are they stable enough for you?

I'm working on nvm.cvsimport-branch-reconstruction, which is based on
the concepts of cvs2svn 2.0, fiddling with the DAG to resolve CVS
inconsistencies and to find branch starts and tag points.

> How much work remains to get something in shape to go into mainline?

It's still buggy and doesn't work for the large and old repositories I'm
interested in. However, you might give it a try with your repository and
see what you get. I'd be interested in your results.

> (PS If anyone has had a good experience with another tool for this general
> use case I'd appreciate tips, although if we want to take it off list as
> not-monotone-related I understand.)

cvs2svn is so far the best I know WRT sanitizing information from CVS.
However, it is made to export to svn and recently also to git. Maybe
others as well in the mean time.

Regards

Markus Wanner