Re: [Monotone-devel] ViewMTN seems to have trouble talking to monotone

From: John Bailey
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] ViewMTN seems to have trouble talking to monotone
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 19:44:13 -0500

Ludovic Brenta wrote:
> What would you recommend?  Setting up separate databases might not
> avoid the problem entirely; ViewMTN would still get the same problem
> while syncing the two databases.  OTOH, since traffic is low, I tend
> to think the best would be that ViewMTN detect the condition and
> report it to the user in a meaningful way.  Is that difficult to
> implement?

On pidgin.im and guifications.org we have ViewMTN using a dedicated database.
We have the ViewMTN db updated via a cron job which actually updates a copy,
then swaps the original database with the copy (via use of 'ln' and 'mv) right
under ViewMTN's nose, so to speak.  ViewMTN handles this gracefully.

John