[Monotone-devel] Time for a release

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Time for a release
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 02:29:47 +0100

Hi all!

As I've already announced on IRC I want to do a release in the next
couple of days, a possible date could be Sunday, 2009-03-15, but
depending on the feedback what people like to get done before 0.43 hits
the world, I'll not insist on this date.

A few things which have my attention are:

0) I've came across a couple of older systems where our dependency for
prce (7.6, released in January 2008) could not be met. I know 7.6
includes an important buffer overflow fix and I know this probably was
backported by some lts distros, but still, from a *functional* point of
view, what version of pcre is required? Seems as if the first pcre
version we've included was 7.4 in monotone-0.37 (at least this was the
most recent one before 0.37 was released).

1) The buildbots i386-debian-testing (isn't this 5.0 by now?) and
x86-linux-glibc are missing some of the new requiered dependencies, at
least botan.

2) The buildbots i386-win32-mingw, i686-winvista-vs2005,
p520-aix-vacpp7, x86-openbsd and x86-linux-glibc-icc are offline since
quite some time. Could the owners of these bots please step up and bring
them back online?

3) The buildbot ppc-osx104#2 still has this sqlite database_dump_load
problem. I don't think this is critical and I cannot reproduce the
problem on Intel/OSX 10.5.6 either, but if someone is in the mood and
has the hardware / software, feel free to give it a try.

4) The translations need some love:

de.po (this is obviously my job):
 1247 translated, 9 fuzzy, 13 untranslated
es.po:
 1174 translated, 49 fuzzy, 46 untranslated
sv.po:
 1199 translated, 35 fuzzy, 35 untranslated
it.po:
 1155 translated, 20 fuzzy, 94 untranslated

5) A lot of new and exciting stuff went into NEWS recently, but please
ensure that smaller things you've done since 0.42 don't get noticed.
I'll skim over the log between 0.42 and the head as well, but I might
forget stuff as well. I'll probably also reorder some of the NEWS items
on importance, i.e. let the exciting stuff come first.

6) Derek, whats up with nvm.experiment.binary-roster-deltas,
nvm.changelog-editor and nvm.experiment.log-options? Should any of those
get part of 0.43?

7) Whats up with net.venge.monotone.rename-guess, Matt? Tests are still
missing there, but this shouldn't be much work. I just don't want to see
your work fading into the background...

So long, thanks for reading.
Thomas.