[Monotone-devel] format_version in automate

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: [Monotone-devel] format_version in automate
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 00:51:08 +0200

Hi!

While looking over the docs I saw that the output of automate tags has
slightly been changed (the signer is now printed as hash, no longer as
plain key name) and I stumbled upon the "format_version" stanza we're
outputting there. A quick grep over the docs showed the following places
where we actually use this stanza:

* automate get_revision / automate put_revision
* automate get_manifest_of
* automate tags
* automate get_attributes

This got me thinking if we really need this stanza as kind of "special"
versioning for all these particular commands. I'm reluctant to remove it
from the textual revision format, because this is not only exported, but
also imported into monotone through put_revision and I also don't know
what the rationale behind the manifest versioning was / is, but since
this happened long before my presence I guess I don't dare to touch that.

What I'm questioning however is the use of this tag in automate tags and
automate get_attributes (since the latter was one of my earlier hacking
attempts). Both are pure informational formats which are never read into
monotone again and I have the feeling that its more than enough to have
these formats versioned together with everything else through
interface_version.

So, back to the start, instead of bumping format_version to 2 for
automate tags I'd like to remove this alltogether - what do people think?

Thomas.