[Monotone-devel] monotone server hangs

From: Hugo Cornelis
Subject: [Monotone-devel] monotone server hangs
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 11:35:22 -0500

Hi all,

The Neurospaces project consists of multiple software components that
integrate as required.  For version control we use monotone.  Each of
the software components has a separate repository and can be
maintained by a geographically separated group.  On a developer PC a
dedicated perl script keeps track of the source code directory layout,
and can be used to install and upgrade the project source code by
communicating with the monotone servers.

>From time to time, we reinstall a developer PC from scratch, recreate
the appropriate directory layout and pull the monotone repositories
from scratch.  Unfortunately pulling a large monotone repository for
the first time often hangs the monotone server.  This error seems to
happen in 90% of the trials, although it does not happen always.
There are no error messages from either side.  Restarting the monotone
server and interrupting the client allows one to retry to pull the
repository.

We would appreciate any help to solve this problem.

On the server we have a statically linked monotone version 0.45
downloaded from the monotone website.  For the client we were using
monotone 0.44 revision 7a48321... from a fedora package.  We have seen
this behaviour also on ubuntu lenny/sid using the statically linked
monotone version 0.45 downloaded from the monotone website.  We have
experienced this problem before using earlier versions of monotone.
We did not see this problem with any other networking software such as
ssh or scp on large files.

We would appreciate any help to solve this problem.

I can give more information if required.

Thanks,

--

Hugo

--

                    Hugo Cornelis Ph.D.

              Neurospaces Project Architect
                http://www.neurospaces.org/

                  Research Imaging Center
   University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
                    7703 Floyd Curl Drive
                 San Antonio, TX  78284-6240

                    Phone: 210 567 8112
                      Fax: 210 567 8152