Re: [Monotone-devel] recent Botan changes?

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] recent Botan changes?
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 18:48:33 -0400

Thomas Moschny <address@hidden> writes:

> Am Tue, 26 Mar 2013 03:59:42 -0400
> schrieb Stephen Leake <address@hidden>:
>
>> I'm compiling monotone head on Red Hat 5.0 (for work); I need a recent
>> fix I put in for drop/modified conflicts.
>>
>> The Red Hat repository does not have Botan (any version).
>
> Botan is available for RHEL 5 and 6 via the EPEL[1] repository.

I'm using the "official supported" Red Hat at work; we have a
maintenance contract.

I'm not clear how to go about telling the system to add another
repository to search, and I'm not sure what that would do to the
maintenance contract; for now, it's easier to install stuff from source.
It goes in /usr/local, so it's easy to distinguish from the official
stuff.

>> I tried upgrading to Botan 1.10.5 (current as of today), but that
>> fails at configure time with a Python syntax error. Red Hat 5.0 has
>> Python 2.4.3, Botan 10.x apparently requires a later Python version.
>
> Python 2.6.X is also available via EPEL, should be easier to try that
> instead of compiling from sources.

I did some more work today; Python 3.3.0 and 2.7.3 both compiled easily
from source.

Then Botan 1.10.5 compiled easily as well, except that configure.py only
works with 2.7.3.

I had to add -I/usr/local/include/botan/botan-1.10 and -lbotan-1.10 to
the mtn configure line, then it compiled fine. and it works, so I'm happy.

>> monotone configure says we support Botan > 1.6.3, which is apparently
>> no longer true.
>
> We should fix this then.

Yes. But what range of Botan versions do we want to support? I'm ok with
1.10, but Debian stable is also an important consideration.

> BTW, do you think it makes sense to backport the fix you mentioned to
> 0.42, the Monotone version provided via EPEL for RHEL5?

no, 0.42 doesn't support "mtn conflicts" at all.

Who's maintaining mtn in that repository?

--
-- Stephe